Give importance to your priorities first. Whenever one thinks of planning a wedding, trust me, it’s a little irresistible feeling that comes into everyone’s life once. We can have one to thousands of discussions with many professionals, or experienced friends or family members to help out. There may be chances that you have a tight budget, and you may want to do things by yourself under your budget. There may be lots to do, but trust me, it’s possible to plan your own D-day.
It would just take your little time and a minute for arrangements to keep everything on the top of the world when you have to choose between endless decisions and lists. The best trick for this is to start one by one instead of binding all things together, and the foremost is taking the advice of your friends and family members including your would be partner wherever necessary on every step you initiate.
Why do I need this wedding planning tips?
The answer is very simple. “The budget” which comes very first in your list to finalize to get the wedding planning sequence work in a smooth manner and under your budget because everyone might have that much of budget, but most of us want our wedding to be the special one. This is the best time to start with wedding planning tips. So don’t waste time, you may face situations to have uncomfortable conversations with your family members, like asking them what’s their budget or what they are planning for your wedding.
Ask your family members about their budget and conclude with the amount everyone is comfortable with spending. After you have fixed your budget, have some extra 10% budget in your wallet because nobody is aware of an unexpected budget to spend, else this would let you reach out of the budget. Now when you are done with your budget, it’s time to spend with some bridal magazines and blogs to get some fair ideas of what type of wedding you want. Have some fun while reading magazines and blogs else you may get bored.
Plan Ahead to Reduce the Stress
Already feeling exhausted and overstressed? Don’t know where to start?
No worries 🙂
“Planning” could be the ultimate stress removal therapy. You have always referred to guides to solve intricate questions. Didn’t you? So, why not refer to a small wedding planning guide to simplify the procedure. Follow these sure shot wedding planning tips. The following tips will guide you through the whole event.
- Decide whether you want a traditional wedding or a conventional wedding with glamour elements.
- Use email invitations instead of wedding cards.
- 6 Months of Pre Planning will help you deal with logistics, music, and decorations.
- Be pragmatic and flexible while taking investment under consideration.
Put in the effort to plan your wedding properly instead of “figuring it out” and completing each task randomly. You’ll make out better.
Too many Indian brides have their minds set on planning the wedding they imagined (I was one of them). Things are so different when you set out to plan your wedding.
It doesn’t matter how many people you’ve helped – your sister, your cousin, your best friend -if you take steps to conquer each part of wedding planning instead of attempting to conquer everything at once, you’ll make out better in the end.
Set A Budget & Stick to it Before Planning an Indian Wedding
People tend to spend a lot without designing a budget. A wedding is not a single day celebration. It comes with lots of events. Plus, there are equal investments in outfits, jewellery, gifts and more.
The list is vast, so it is advised to have a budget. Don’t end up messing with all; sit, relax and understand.
Take help of the experienced specialists. There are many informative sites and articles on the Internet which can guide you on how to plan an Indian wedding. You can always ask for the assistance of wedding planners to design your budget. Under normal circumstances, the actual cost may shoot up by anything between 10-30%. So keep a buffer working on the budget.
Wedding Timelines and Booking Schedules
Managing wedding timelines means making a closed loop of different ceremonies and guests. Guests invited to a wedding should be intimated well in advance. It should be anything between three to six months before the wedding day.
This will help guests plan their trips accordingly. The wedding guest list consists of some confirmed attendees, along with a few dicey ones. It is done to make sure you don’t end up expanding the budget with any additional arrangement. Then comes the task of listing the number of functions such as Mehendi, Haldi, and Sangeet.
These days cocktail parties are also organized frequently. Plan the space according to different functions and events. You may want to book separate spaces for three different functions. So, it is suggested to see if a particular venue offers flexible space for various big and small functions.
Venue Selection and Guest Accommodation
Selecting a wedding venue in India may be overwhelming. Here are a few important points which would ease the process of venue selection:
- Venue Location: Site inspection would solve the problem of location. Understand the locale to attract the guest with a great first impression. A lush green open space would be best to engage the guests.
- Capacity: Availability of flexible gathering space is essential for various events. A simple social gathering might involve 200 guests. However, a big wedding event might be crowded, with more than 600 guests.
- Type: Check whether your event would need a Banquet, Marriage Hall or outdoor space.
- Availability: Availability of wedding space depends upon the status of the wedding season. Make sure that the desired space is available on your wedding date.
- Rates/Negotiations: Rates and Negotiations also depend on the seasons. The early you book the space, the better deal you may get.
- Safe Parking: Parking is a great concern for wedding guests. A wedding means a lot of attendees and all commuting with different vehicles. Understanding parking concerns means making your guests comfortable. Once their parking concern is solved, they would be able to enjoy the function.
- Accommodation: Most of the Banquets and Hotels usually have a full arrangement of a comfortable stay. Wedding guests would need a night stay facility. So, the hotels are facilitated with both “Deluxe” and “Standard Rooms.” Rooms should have WiFi facilities, a hot and cold supply of water with regular food supplies. Packages can be customized with breakfast lunch and dinner itineraries.
- Extra Services: Extra services include power backs, extra food for unplanned guests and additional space for small events.
- Food And Catering: Check whether the venue has food service included.
- Reviews and Rating: You can always check the ratings of Banquets to make wise selections.
Help Guests Pay Attention
Make sure your guests can both see and hear from their seats. If people are seated farther than 15 rows back from your ceremony altar or podium, consider renting a mic and a riser. This could range anywhere from $50 to $100, depending on the equipment used. You’ll need to coordinate the delivery and setup with your ceremony space, so put your wedding planner or best man in charge of this task.
Choose an Invitation Style
This is one area where you can save a significant amount of money. Many people spend a lot on wedding invitations in India. However, you can save a lot by adopting a more practical and technological approach.
Get some copies printed for the near and dear ones or the local family and friends.
Use E-Cards for volume invitations.
Recently, e-cards are gaining tremendous popularity among urban youth and environment conscious couples. Plus, it would be a meaningful effort toward saving paper.
E-cards can also be designed with one of your customized candid couple shots. So, what are you waiting for? Get your candid shot clicked and let the designer do the rest.
Wedding Theme and Flower Arrangements
Wedding themes lay the foundation for a wedding decoration. Any decoration including stage setup, backdrop, entrance, flowers falls short without a stated theme. Even the food representation style is aligned as per the wedding theme. Quickly take a look at some themes that can be selected while planning an Indian wedding.
- Exotic Flower Based Theme: Jasmine, Rajnigandha, Marigold, and Rose all are made available for exotic flower themes. All these flowers add multiple pops of colours in the decoration. Flowers can be a part of centrepieces, stage, mandap, and entrance. Carnations can also be a part of various events like Mehendi, Haldi, and Sangeet. Flower arrangements enhance the look and feel of the event. Exotic flower theme is always the first choice because of its simplicity and freshness.
- Royal Theme: They say marriage is a divine bond, so why not design it in golden words. A Rich Royal Theme captures the epitome of Treasured Indian Traditions. It is for those who are looking for an event other than the usual self. The Rajwadi style is captured flawlessly in the wedding event with possible royal decorations. Gold jewels and ornaments inspire a royal theme. Over the top decorative artifacts is the real charm of this theme. Booking a palace for the wedding could be expensive but having a similar feel on the day is easy. You might not get elephants on the venue, but an antique car would solve the purpose. The bride can commute on a royal palki to the stage. The guest would long remember your royal affair.
Gaming & Fun
No wedding is complete without gaming or some quirky stuff. You should plan your fun time separately, but the budget should be in your mind. This part of the night will lit-up your memories and brighten your wedding functions even more. Musical games, fun poolside games or doing some acting, to relive your love story or first meeting or the time you spend with your parents will bring tears in your eyes. Relive those moments and capture it in the camera so that you can cherish it forever.
Food and Catering Services
Food is something that can make or break the reputation of any marriage party. You need to be extremely careful and sensitive to the taste of your guests. Choose banquet halls that are known to serve excellent and exotic dishes. The menu should reflect the marriage theme and local culture. Also, the food served should be enough to tempt the taste buds.
Candid Moments and Featured Photography
Weddings are about special picture-perfect moments. The representation of each moment is made possible with excellent photography. With family and friends all around, wedding photos could be snapped in candid shots. Candid photography captures real and natural moments.
Featured photography is also very popular nowadays. It is a glamorous version of traditional photos. It consists of tailored shots which feature real emotion. Both Candid and Featured photography should be included in the wedding event.
Entertainment and DJ Services
An Indian wedding is more like a festival, with songs and beats audible from all corner. People gather to dance in their best moods. In a nutshell, weddings are high on fun. Therefore wedding event should blend excitement with unmatched entertainment services like DJ Services, Punjabi Dance, Ghoomar Dance, Folk Dance, Dance Floor Fun and more.
Wedding venues also come with entertainment packages. The entertainment packages have DJ services. Ask the management to arrange the best DJ artist who could understand the music demands of your guests. The Dance floor should be equipped with light and sound arrangements. Jumbo Boofer and Speakers are a ‘must’ on the floor.
- Celebrity DJ Artist: Depending upon your budget scale, the DJ artist can be selected. Celebrity DJ artists are engaged during wedding peak seasons. So, it is suggested to ask for their availability. The wedding specialists would be able to make bookings in advance with prior knowledge.
- Dance Artist: Bhangra is an epic hit in desi Indian weddings. The Bhangra dancers woo the guests with their explosive dancing which is high on energy. Professional Bhangra dancers compel the crowd to shake their heads. So, you can always book a troop of bhangra artists to impress your wedding guests.
- Folk Dance: It is popular in the Royal wedding setups. Folk dancers dress in regional attire and perform various dance forms. These dancers could be a group of Rajasthani, Gujarati or Marwari folk artists. You can choose your favourite folk dance form for your Indian wedding. The wedding management team will arrange the artists as per your demand.
Ask and You Might Receive
Request an extra hour for cocktails or your band to throw in that Frank Sinatra sound-alike before you sign on the dotted line. Most vendors would rather secure the reservation than nickel-and-dime you early on (which might turn you off of them). Later on, though, they may be less inclined to meet you halfway.
Get Organizationally Focused
In a three-ring binder, compile all your correspondences with vendors, notes you make during meetings, and photos or tear sheets from magazines you want vendors to see. Set up a special email address dedicated to your wedding, and store important vendor numbers in your cell phone. For on-the-go planning that keeps everything in one place, download The Knot All-In-One Wedding Planner app to keep all of your planning info digitally on-hand at all times.
Don’t Be Afraid to Ask
Your wedding vendors should be your go-to, most-trusted experts during the planning process. When working with them, you should feel free to explore what it is you want—maybe it’s serving a late-night snack instead of a first course or doing a bridal portrait session rather than an engagement session. The bottom line is that you should feel like you can have an honest conversation with them about what it is you want. Their job will be to tell you what you can and can’t make work given your wedding budget.
Prepare for Rejection
Know that as a rule, about 10 to 20 per cent of the people you invite won’t attend. Naturally, this depends on the location of your wedding (destination weddings are harder to attend), how many out-of-towners are on your list, and the timing of the event (some guests may have annual holiday plans).
Make a Uniform Kids Policy
You have four choices: You can welcome children with open arms; you can decide to have an “adults only” wedding; you can include immediate family only; or, you can hire a child care service to provide daycare either at the reception space, in a hotel room or at a family member’s home. To prevent hurt feelings, it’s wise to avoid allowing some families to bring children while excluding others (unless, of course, the children are in your bridal party).
Prioritize Your People
Pare down your guest list with the “tiers of priority” trick. Place immediate family, the bridal party and best friends on top of the list; follow with aunts, uncles, cousins and close friends you can’t imagine celebrating without. Under that, list your parents’ friends, neighbours, coworkers and so on. If you need to make some cuts, start from the bottom until you reach your ideal number.
Take It One Step at a Time
Put together a wedding planning schedule and do things one by one, in a logical order, so you don’t take on too much too fast and end up with everything snowballing around you. Don’t hire any vendors before you’ve confirmed your date; don’t design your cake before you’ve envisioned your flowers, and don’t book a band before you’ve settled on a space.
Provide Accurate Driving Directions
Make sure guests know where they’re going. As easy as online map programs are to use, sometimes the directions are wrong, or there’s a quicker, less traffic-prone route to take. Ask your ceremony and reception sites for printouts or digital copies of recommended driving directions and even test out the routes yourself. Then include the best directions on your wedding website or email them to your guests to print out if they’d like.
Keep a Paper Trail
Get any nonstandard changes to your agreements in writing or send the vendor a confirmation email saying, “Hello, just confirming that you’ll keep the venue open until 2 a.m. versus midnight.” Don’t just assume everything’s all set—sometimes, by the time the actual day rolls around, your contact for certain may no longer be working there to vouch for you.
Schedule the Setup
You must make sure there’s ample time for setup. If you’re renting a venue and bringing in outside help, ask what time people can come in to start setting. See if they can do it the day before, or at the very least the entire wedding day, before the event starts.
Learn About Marriage Licenses
You can check your state’s license requirements online but confirm with a call to the county clerk’s office to see when they’re open. Even if it’s open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., they may issue marriage licenses only during slower times like, say, Thursdays from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Give a copy of your marriage license to your mom or your maid of honour (just in case you lose yours during the final days before your wedding).
Go Over Ground Rules
Be prepared—ask the manager of the house of worship or site where you’ll be married for the list of restrictions (if any). For instance, is flash photography or bare shoulders prohibited? Or, if you’re exchanging vows outdoors, are you allowed to plant tent stakes in the lawn (which is often not allowed)?
Be Realistic With Your Time
When it comes down to the last month of your planning (and when you’re particularly harried), look at your mile long to-do list and cut three things. Yes, cut three things. Not crucial things you just don’t feel like doing, such as picking a processional song or confirming final details with all of your vendors. Eliminate only the over-the-top tasks like hand-painting “Just Married” signs, or baking cookies for all of the welcome bags. Cross them off and make a pledge not to think about them again.
Planning an Indian wedding helps in eliminating shortcomings and last minute confusions. Hook on the net to get jaw-dropping deals on banquets, wedding venues, and marriage halls.
It’s your D-day, and you are constantly busy in checking top wedding bloggers to help you plan your Wedding Day and simultaneously you are busy in wedding coordination. You must be confused about how to arrange all the things together. If yes, then no need to worry.
So if not sure where to begin with, all you need to do is contact Shaadidukaan, rest leave all your worries on us to make your wedding appointments hassle-free, and fun filling.
It is always good to create a checklist of all small and large activities mentioned in this Indian wedding planning guide. It will not only help you plan a fascinating Indian wedding but also help you save on a lot of unnecessary expenses. We take care of all your concerns, including your guest invitation.